Pick up photography, enjoy some laughs, catch Afro-Cuban dance or enjoy quiet time at home. Here are some ideas of things you can get into this week in the “Sunshine State”. This post was lovingly drafted up for you guys when I really am just itching to curl up in bed ready to fall alseep as the rain crashes against the window.
- Photoshop for Beginners with Laurence Gartel (Aug. 7-10) Join Gartel for a dynamic learning experience. Explore the flexibility of image manipulation using the newest version of Adobe Photoshop and learn to create special effects using built-in filters and third-party plug-ins. Learn to digitize and color correct images; create image montages; master selection tools and image resolution, work with masking and layering. Whether you are an experienced film photographer looking to enhance your work or make the transition from film to digital; or one of the many new enthusiasts enjoying their experiences with digital cameras, this workshop is for you. Members: $825 • Non-members: $895 Prerequisites: Photoshop Basics or equivalent experience. Space Limited to 12 participants.
- Ife-Ile Afro-Cuban Dance Festival (Aug. 9) The jam-packed day will include 15 workshops on dance and drumming — including ones on Cuban-based orisha dance; (orishas are Yoruban deities or spirits); Afro-Brazilian capoeira, the athletic martial arts of that South American country; batá drumming; Afro-modern; and Cuban son, rumba, and salsa rueda. The day will culminate in a gala performance at 8 p.m., followed by a descarga at Little Havana’s Cubaocho. — Little Haiti Cultural Arts Center (212 NE 59th Ter., Miami) Price: $15 – $125
- Tastemakers of Delray Beach 2012 (Aug. 9-10) Stroll through Downtown Delray Beach and visit the 21 amazing eateries are providing all who purchase a Tastemaker Passport a tasting of their special cuisine paired with a beverage of their choice! Buy your “passport” and sample food and drinks from restaurants all over Delray Beach. Tastemaker Passport $30 (cash only)
- Chris Tucker: Guess Who’s Back Tour (Aug. 10) Chris Tucker, best known for playing the role of Detective James Carter in the Rush Hour film series, will perform at the Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. Showtime: 8pm. Tickets start at $49.
- Sit your butt home. Your liver and wallet will thank you.