A married man with 11 children, Johannes Vermeer lived what seemed to have been a quiet life. It’s said that few knew he lived, much less painted until centuries after his death when Théophile Thoré published “Van der Meer (Ver Meer) de Delft”, in 1866. Fast forward to the present and the internet is alive and buzzing with various interpretations of his “Girl with a Pearl Earring” portrait. Here are some of my favorites.
Other works by Johannes Vermeer:
- Diana and her Companions, ca. 1655-56
- Procuress, ca. 1656
- Girl Asleep at a Table, ca. 1657
- Officer with a Laughing Girl, ca. 1655-60
- The Music Lesson, ca. 1662-65
- Allegory of the Art of Painting, ca. 1666-67